The magic-mystical number 30 minutes of exercise. WHY? Why not 35, 39, 27?
The human body was designed to move, and when its deprived of this movement, the results can manifest as poor physical health, mood disorders, and accelerated aging.
- So we’ll feel bad, look bad, and be grouchy about it.
Your physical and mental health depend so much on exercise that not getting enough is considered one of the 10 major risk factors for death worldwide.
SCIENCE OR MATH?
The American Heart Association and other health organizations recommend at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic exercise per week. So simple math, and we like simple, 30 minutes per day for five days a week to achieve health benefits.
So the Science is really in the MATH, and a darn good formula to live feeling better, looking better and being more pleasant to be around. AND it’s all legal!
THE “REAL” MAGIC BEHIND 30-MINUTES?
- It’s practical
- It can be used to achieve many different fitness goals
- It’s a nice round, even number
- We can associate 30 minutes with power-walking on a lunch break, biking to a cozy coffee shop, morning wake-up yoga…
- And to be honest, it’s hardly even one Netflix episode
- It’s not intimidating
- It’s plain doable
Caution: More exercise can lead to additional health benefits, and some individuals may become addicted. Bravo.